The first Holy Cross Sisters came to the United States of America in 1912. Bishop Vincent Wehrle of the Diocese of Bismarck, North Dakota, needed sisters to staff the new St. Joseph's Hospital he had just built in Dickinson, and the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross responded. And as they say, the rest is history. In 2012 the Holy Cross Sisters celebrated 100 years of ministry in the United States. Today sisters and associates continue the dream and the journey of our founders and those pioneer sisters who paved the way for service to others.